CoD4's prefab based maps work for people to create levels fairly
easily but I dont see the same creative community that exists in css,
tf2 and l4d.

BSP works, I'm happy with it, I get a lot of control with it. You
choose the engine for the game, you want to make a crysis scale game
then use the crytek engine. If something like TF2 is in mind then use
source 2007.

The misconception that source is the same engine it was 5 years ago
bugs me. Valve have updated it loads and brought graphics, physics and
gameplay to the next generation. TBH valve are a generation ahead of
everyone else in terms of gameplay.

Last time I checked insurgency looked pretty damn nice, at a par with cod4 IMO.