Kohan, if you'd seen the grammar in e-mail I've received from people
with an @valvesoftware.com email address you wouldn't disbelieve that
Adam may actually have a game industry job.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that Valve is probably the last
game company pushing a BSP based engine? After 3 years of building a
mod I'm starting to believe that Source is just the HL1 engine with a
bunch of third-party API's plugged in. Certainly they have come up
with some very cool stuff but over Goldsrc, Source just doesn't feel
very "next-gen" to me. I remember when CS:S first came out and
everyone was was "well you should be able to do XXX/YYY with the
source engine". Ultimately all the mods big plans fell flat and it
feels, with a few exceptions, the same stuff as HL1 but with better
graphics.

My biggest beef with Source as a next-gen engine is their tool set. I
*really* think Valve have taken a backwards step with their SDK and
tool chain and make modding exponentially difficult for those that
want to do it. When I look at other engines everything is so much more
refined and documented and the tools are much more polished that
Valve. Case in point:

- Why are we still using a command line model compiler? The main
modder demographic is probably 15 - 20 somethings of which most aren't
pre-windows 95 and don't know how to use a CLI. If I can write a
bloody GUI to StudioMDL, why can't Valve?

- Why the hell are we still using SMD? Take a continuous mesh model,
break it into triangles and re-compile it into tri-strips at compile.
Hint Valve - either adapt your SMD/OBJ MRM hybrid format or just use
DAE/FBX for God's sake. You'll find you don't need "us" to make SMD
support for every 3D app out there if you adopt a cross application 3D
format.

I could go on, but I personally think that Valve need to seriously
polish their tool set if they expect us, as modders, and maybe even
studios to adopt their engine. Content creation shouldn't be a fight.

And I say this knowing full well that some people at Valve prefer my
tools over their own...

- J