> Regarding the update failures, what was $?
>
> That is, did the updater exit 0, or something else?
>
> My auto-update script checks to make sure that I get exit 0 from steam,
> or else it runs again up to four times before it gives up.  It is very
> common that it runs twice.
>
> I don't use nemrun myself, but I seem to remember his script doing a
> similar exit code check and re-running the update as necessary.
>
> If steam didn't exit 0, it didn't update.  If you don't know, then you
> should!
>
> Just do "echo $?" immediately and only immediately after the steam
> command finishes to find out the exit code.  If it's 0, that's good.  if
> it's something else, re-run the update.

nemrun DOES re-check.  The scripts are out there for anybody to look at,
including Valve and anyone else who wants to suggest it is doing something
wrong as an explanation for the problem.

I would imagine a lot of people on this list actually DO know about bash
using $? to store the return code from the last command.  I do and have
for a long time.  Here's a snip from one of my simpler "older days" update
scripts:

--------
# update game function definition
game_update() {

        ./steam -command update -game "tf" -dir . -verify_all -retry

}

cd ~/tf2

# run update function once in case we get a zero return value on 1st try:
game_update

#echo "Return Code: $?"

## loop - we should keep doing this until we get a zero return
#
until [ $? -eq 0 ] ; do

        game_update
done
--------

The problem isn't that our scripts are doing the wrong thing.

> --
>
> This isn't the best bash, but whatever.  This is a snip, may be
> incomplete.
>
>    while [ /bin/true ] ; do
>        ./steam -command update -game $GAME -dir ./$GAMEDIR -retry
>      UPDATEEXIT=$?
>      UPDATECOUNTER=$(( $UPDATECOUNTER + 1)) # counter increment
>      echo ""
>      echo "./steam update exit code was $UPDATEEXIT"
>      if [ "$UPDATEEXIT" = 0 ] ; then
>        echo ""
>        echo "Update completed.  Please start server if desired."
>        break
>      else
>        echo ""
>        echo "Update did not succeed."
>        if [ "$UPDATECOUNTER" -lt "5" ] ; then
>          echo "Try $UPDATECOUNTER failed, will try again..."
>          sleep 1
>          continue
>        fi
>        if [ "$UPDATECOUNTER" -eq "5" ] ; then
>          echo "Tried $UPDATECOUNTER times already.  Will not try again."
>          break
>        fi
>      fi
>    done
>

> John Schoenick wrote:
>> nemrun just calls hldsupdatetool with normal options.
>>
>> Your princess is in another castle.
>>
>> On 12/15/2011 08:32 PM, Fletcher Dunn wrote:
>>> PatchVersion=1.1.8.9
>>> ProductName=tf