Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi Tomohiro,

I agree with the general idea.  I would like to change a few details.

I would suggest one new resource:

  XTerm*utf8Filter: /usr/X11R6/bin/luit

If utf8Filter is set, and XTerm is in UTF-8 mode, XTerm will spawn

  <filter> prog args

instead of

  prog args

In addition, I suggest that the utf8 resource should be changed to a
tri-valued flag: it can be false, true, or auto, the latter meaning
that XTerm should run in UTF-8 mode if the locale is multi-byte, and
in eight-bit mode if it is not.

The defaults for these resources should be

  XTerm*utf8Filter: <projectroot>/bin/luit
  XTerm*utf8: auto  (or perhaps true?)

TK>  - emulate doublewidth de-facto standard for east Asian encodings
TK>    (using http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/scw-proposal.html ?)

With all due respect, I refuse to implement Markus' proposal.

TK>  - luit to support more encodings
TK>    (http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-utf8/2001-11/msg00093.html)

Yep.  Boring, but must be done.

TK>  - whether xterm or luit will support BiDi or not.  Usage of fribidi
TK>    may have license problem (like Robert Brady's patch).

My personal opionion is that BIDI belongs above the terminal emulator.

And the number 1 item: include your fix for SS in EUC-JP (actually a
slightly improved version).

Thanks for your comments,

                                        Juliusz