Hi,

At 06 Feb 2002 15:40:42 +0000,
Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> TK>        case 'e':
> TK>           if (argc <= 1) Syntax (*argv);
> TK>           command_to_exec = ++argv;
> TK>           break;
>
> I see.  Well, I'd rather we didn't rely on such an accident of nature.
>
> TK> in main.c 1933.  Anyway, I will change this part to use malloc() and
> TK> copy argv into the buffer, to cope with "luit -- command"
>
> Good.

Now, I think you are right, because my implementation of
command_to_exec--; can be a cause of possible bugs in future
when further modification would be done by someone.

> TK> It is a good idea.  I am now trying to implement it by modifying
> TK> execvp() and exec_file() in spawn().  However, I have no idea what
> TK> is exec_file() or what is AMOEBA system.
>
> I think you should feel free to remove all the Amoeba support.
> Thomas, have you heard from any Amoeba user in the last 10 years or so?

I see.  Then, my patch will not touch AMOEBA code at all, because
I don't think I can remove the code without knowing what it is or
how it is popular.

> TK> It is, addition of a command option to directly specify encoding.
>
> The nice thing with not having such a flag is that it forces people to
> configure their locales correctly -- I'm fed up with bug reports from
> people who set the locale to Latin-1, use Latin-2 fonts, then complain
> that fontset-aware applications don't work.

Well, you are right.  I want users to know about locale, for two
reasons: (1) developers come from users, and locale-innocent developes
will write softwares which don't support locale or, even worse,
softwares which don't work well under some locale configurations.
(2) as you wrote, such locale-innocent users complain "i18n" softwares
are useless for them.  This is why "i18n" softwares are sometimes
forced to implement non-locale behavior for such people.  Otherwise,
softwares will suffer from a huge amount of bugreports or lose users.

Thus, multibyte people wish all users in the world to know about
locale.  However, we are accustomed to think that we have no rights
to force 8bit-language people to study about locale.  How do you
think about this point?

I think I will not implement "-encoding" in, at least, near future.

(I also think "utf8" resource for Xterm is not a very good idea, also,
from exactly the same reason.  How do you think about this?)

> TK> Another improvement is to accept UTF-8 locales.
> Yep.  I'm planning to do that when I implement generic support for
> variable-width charsets (GB and stuff).

I see.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>