>> I think you should feel free to remove all the Amoeba support.
>> Thomas, have you heard from any Amoeba user in the last 10 years or so?

TK> I see.  Then, my patch will not touch AMOEBA code at all, because
TK> I don't think I can remove the code without knowing what it is or
TK> how it is popular.

Amoeba was an experimental distributed OS developed by Andrew
Tanenbaum (the author of Minix) in the late 80s.  I may be wrong, but
I believe that Minix and Amoeba support has been broken for a long
time, and has been removed from the X server in 4.0.  It has remained
in XTerm, because that's under the control of Thomas.

My personal opinion is that it would be better to remove Amoeba
support altogether rather than silently break it; Thomas, could you
please comment?

[Comments reordered.]

TK> I think I will not implement "-encoding" in, at least, near future.

After thinking it over, I've changed my mind on the subject.  There is
one perfectly legitimate application of ``-encoding'': it is running
luit locally when accessing a remote host and when the local host
doesn't support the remote locale.  E.g.

  luit -encoding 'ShiftJIS' ssh xenix_machine 'LC_ALL=ja_JP emacs -nw'

So I think I'll implement it, unless of course you come around to
doing it before I do.

TK> (I also think "utf8" resource for Xterm is not a very good idea, also,
TK> from exactly the same reason.  How do you think about this?)

Same thing.  Many systems do not support UTF-8 locales yet.

TK> Well, you are right.  I want users to know about locale [...]
TK> However, we are accustomed to think that we have no rights to
TK> force 8bit-language people to study about locale.

I think we should encourage all users to configure their systems
correctly, and insist that software that only works properly in some
locales should document this fact and print a warning if running in an
unsupported locale (as Xlib does).

However, one should remember that many users are stuck with OS that do
not support multibyte locales.

                                        Juliusz