----------------------------------------<snip>------------------------------------------
If you don't understand what's wrong with PDS, re-read Etienne Thijsse's
thread on attempting to delete a PDSE member. Or imagine my astonished
dismay the first time I allocated a member with DISP=(OLD,DELETE) and
watched the entire PDS vanish. Enough counterintuitive behaviors and "flaws"
with recondite repairs add up to "wrong".
I submit that this issue was caused by a faulty understanding of how PDS's and JCL work together. You can view it as a flaw if you like, and I do, but there are provided mechanisms to circumvent this "flaw". Not always nice and certainly not intuitive,
but still available.

Rick