Mr. Poncelet said "We are arguing semantics". Yes, computer language statements have syntax requirements and properly-written statements have semantics associated with them. The language in the JCL Reference Manual specifically refers to the relative priority of information provided in the program DCB vs the DD/JFCB vs the DSCB, as is attested by the section title in the manual. The actual semantics of the OPEN statement are more complex. Mr. Poncelet argues that his meaning of "override" is the correct one. I would go with the meaning of "override" in the documentation, and as I used it. If my manager sends me an message telling me to do something, I may (with risks) override his wishes by doing something different, but that does not mean that I rewrote his message. The actual semantics of OPEN are that the "DCB" attributes in the DSCB are NOT rewritten on an OPEN for input. Mr. Poncelet demanded a verifiable example. I provided one. Read a member of a PDS with IDCAMS PRINT with a DD specifying "RECFM=U,BLKSIZE=32760" This works, and does NOT update the DSCB.

Dale Miller