I believe it replaces the existing IDR record with a "empty" one

<snip>
If you relink as the AMA120I suggests/instructs the Binder adds
another (empty) IDR record so you can use the IDENTIFY statement
(think this is automatic although it may be triggered by supplying a
Binder command to add more IDR Space). As you note, this allows you
to track what ZAPs have been installed. If I remember IDR is ID
Record. There are IDR records for each CSECT in the Load Module (they
come from the Assembler) so you can see what the assembly date of the
CSECT is (there is only one for the last linkedit).
</snip>