In a message dated 4/25/2006 8:02:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Who knows how much collection costs?
There are three components of collection that cause overhead directly
attributable to SMF, but most of which is not measurable:  (1) creation  of
data
elements that are not functionally required for the proper functioning  of the
software component involved and are maintained only to be dumped into  the SMF
record; (2) gathering of all the data elements and building the  record; (3)
requesting the SMF writing service (used to be only via an SVC,  now there is
also branch entry or maybe PC).  Once you are inside the  writing service, the
test is made as to whether or not that particular record  type is to be written
(true originally for all record types; now I am not sure  if some can be
turned off earlier in the process).  IBM has some  undocumented monitor call
instructions inside the I/O first level interrupt  handler for instrumentation
purposes.  Maybe they also have some way to  measure the overhead of building
an
SMF record.  And maybe they can  report on it some day if they do.  There is no
way we can find out.   The only part of the overhead we can measure is that
belonging to the SMF  writing service in the SMF address space, and that's a
small part of the  total.

Bill  Fairchild