Everything everyone has said so far is correct but IMHO all of the answers
to question 1. (which is really two questions, kernel and architecture) have
started at a level of detail beyond your question.

The z/OS hardware is its own architecture. It is not x86 or POWER or Sparc
or any "popular" architecture such as those. I guess the correct name at
this point for the processor hardware design is "zSeries architecture" but
you will often hear it informally called "390 architecture" out of old habit
- System 390, System 370, and System 360 were earlier names for the system.

As others have pointed out, the processor is exhaustively, but not
completely, documented in "Principles of Operation." The old name, System
360, was chosen to evoke an "all points of the compass" approach to the
hardware. It implements byte-, word- (multiple sizes of word), decimal-, and
floating point-oriented instructions, as well as many, many special-purpose
instructions. As others have said, IBM has recently placed tremendous
emphasis on multi-processor designs - the speed of the "box" is many times
greater than the speed of any one CPU.

The kernel and all programs run on these processors. Well, actually, the
"channels" - the external buss - implement instructions of their own, but
that's waaaaay beyond the scope of this e-mail.

The apparent processor architecture is - like most modern machines -
implemented largely in microcode running on a lower level processor. (Also
something called millicode, but let's not go there for now.) IBM has been
moving that lower level processor in the general direction of the POWER
chips, but they aren't there yet, so far as I know.

Someone will no doubt quibble with nearly everything I say above. Welcome to
IBM-MAIN.

Charles