All of the threads here where right on target, and should serve you well if
you follow them as prescribed. I have found that there is no definitive
source on the architecture. It is really a vast  landscape , I actually
read the hardware manual supplied with the 3031 CPU's,, they had a lot of
instruction detail,, what a geek I was.

To recap..

Mainframes don't actually have a backplane that's governed by a bus
arbitrator scheme as some implementation have done  in the past.  That
channel subsystem as it was called, was strictly a place for the more
experienced coders so beware. It has it's own methodology when it came to
writing code.The channel subsystem is really a processor in it's own right.

 All throughout the architecture you'll find various processors that are
part of the machine architectural composition, but IBM does not disclose
their origins....ie. OS/2 was used as a  loader at one time. HMC's are now
INTEL based..etc..

To actually program at the assembler level is fairly easy, debugging is
where the nightmare starts. I/O on z/OS is straightforward, I/O  on VSE is
a little tricky. I/O on VM was a no brainier even though the manuals were
almost indecipherable at times. V/M did  provide the optimal learning
environment since you could at one time run both DOS/MVS like macros. You
interactively execute a program without much fear of harm, but you still
had have some minimal knowledge of what was actually being performed on
your behalf.

IMHO the best place to start is by tracking down some of the old 360/370
textbooks. Many (all)  are out of print.. But you can try OPAMP technical
books in Los Angeles.
Occasionally I'll see a book by  Ivan ( make that Dr Ivan) Flores, Harry
Katzan et al. These were good text books. There were some early books on
microprogramming that did some in depth examination of the instruction sets
from various Mainframe Manufacturers. You can try locating them, but this
might be a little too over the top also. I find that the ABC's books are
filled with good and useful information,  but even they can be a little too
over whelming at times.

My two bits to learning.

KISS, beg , borrow , steal  , share good code. Make sure you have a "GREEN"
card handy, THE POP is your friend, Macro instruction documentation  are
essential to getting past the bumps, and there will be many. If you ever
run across those old blue XA manuals on macro coding grab'em they're
golden, and you can still gleam a few tidbits from'em. Learn XDC or TSO
test. Be humble,, there always a darn good assembler programmer hanging
around who tell you a thing or two. I'm 25 years in and the guy sitting
next to me is 50 years in. I'm humbled

Good luck and  keep following the thread.