I strongly disagree.  Some good programmers are arrogant, but then again so are
some bad ones.  The best ones realize that they don't -- and can't -- know it
all, and they make allowances for it.

Edsger Dijkstra even made humility the point of a paper he delivered at a
Turing Award lecture, said paper being entitled "The Humble Programmer."  His
argument was that most of the art/science of programming centers around trying
to compensate for our finite cranial capacity.  This is indisputably true.

As Steve McConnell puts it, "The people who are the best at programming are the
people who realize how small their brains are.  They are humble.  The prople
who are the worst at programming are the people who refuse to accept the fact
that their brains aren't equal to the task."

That may be a different sense of the word "humility" than you were discussing,
but I think it is relevant.  In more practical terms, arrogant programmers all
too frequently become prima donnas, which often affords them the opportunity to
become the best programmer nobody wants to work with.

Jon

<snip>
'Humility'?  Anyone entering a new field has perforce much to learn from
some of its experienced denizens, but humility should be short-lived.

No good programmer I have every known was at all humble, and the great ones
were/are well aware of their abilities, even [some few of them] arrogant
about their skills.
</snip>