Joachim Selke wrote:
> sqlalchemy.exceptions.DatabaseError: (DatabaseError)
> ibm_db_dbi::DatabaseError: Binding Error:  'INSERT INTO kind_type (kind)
> VALUES (?)' [u'movie']
>

> I also tried connection.set_autocommit(True) but it did not change
> anything. I also do not get an error message, although this command
> definitely gets executed (I verified this with a print command right
> after the autocommit statement).

Just to give a short update:
Maybe you are suspecting the problem to be at the wrong place. I tried
to reconstruct what IMDbPY does when creating and using a cursor:

class _AlchemyConnection(object):
    """A proxy for the connection object, required since _ConnectionFairy
    uses __slots__."""
    def __init__(self, conn):
        self.conn = conn

    def __getattr__(self, name):
        return getattr(self.conn, name)

import sqlalchemy
engine = sqlalchemy.create_engine('XXX')
eng_conn = engine.connect()
connection = _AlchemyConnection(eng_conn.connection)
connection.set_autocommit(True)
CURS = connection.cursor()
CURS.execute('INSERT INTO kind_type (kind) VALUES (?)', ['movie'])

This works like a charm (no matter whether it is connection or
connection.connection), whereas it doesn't work if I remove the
autocommit line completely. Thus, autocommit definitely is enabled when
I make the modification to setConnection as you suggested.

Joachim
--
M. Sc. Joachim Selke
Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institut für Informationssysteme