On Nov 16, Joachim Selke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I guess I found the problem.

Excellent!  That's a serious step toward a solution (last famous
words ;-)

> And indeed, the call of "unicode" is the important difference
> between your test case and what IMDbPY is doing

Right - I was sure to have seen a working test with unicode, but I
notice now that I was wrong.

> Is this a bug in the ibm_db driver?  (My DB2 database's encoding
> is set to UTF-8 by default.)

I'm not an expert of the internals of SQLAlchemy, but every other
back-ends works fine with unicode, once you've specified an encoding (as
expected - and IMDbPY default is utf-8).
So... yes, it's probably a good idea to let the ibm_db developers know
of this behavior.

Anyway, now what's needed to make IMDbPY work is a way to insert
unicode strings using SQLAlchemy.
What if (just to do a fast test) you change this line of the
setConnection function:
  params = {'encoding': encoding}

to this one:
  params = {'encoding': encoding, 'convert_unicode': True}

does it works?

> BTW: I found a problem in your code when creating indexes.

Fixed in the CVS.  Thank you a lot!

--
Davide Alberani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [PGP KeyID: 0x465BFD47]
http://erlug.linux.it/~da/