Davide Alberani wrote:
> May be you can gain some (a lot?) of speed using transactions; you
> can try the imdbpy2sql.py option "--sqlite-transactions": it was
> thought for SQLite (and will issue a warning if used with another
> server, but ignore it).

I tried it but there is no SQL command "BEGIN TRANSACTION" in DB2. The
DB2 equivalent is called "BEGIN COMPOUND" -- but it seems it is used in
a different way; just replacing this in your code is not enough.

Have you thought of using SQLAlchemy's Session feature? This seems to be
a wrapper around the database's transactional features.

> IMDbPY's solution?  Using SQLAlchemy, some TEXT columns (the ones
> which require an index) are VARCHAR(255) - and so the indexes are
> created and everybody is happy.
> Sort of: there are very few cases (at this time, 3 - THREE - in the whole
> database, and they are all person's "names") in which the data is
> too long.

Hm, why is it truncated to VARCHAR(255)? I made a quick check on some
databases supported by SQLAlchemy and it seems like they do not have any
problems with larger values than 255 in their current versions. I would
like to try a larger value. Before I wait another 8 hours: Do you know
what VARCHAR size is needed to store all these names?

> PS for Joachim: I really appreciate your valuable help, but as you
> can imagine, the problem is becoming more and more academic. :-)

Indeed, it becomes really special now. But I still have the feeling that
we are close to a solution. And: I also would like to thank your for
your time spent on fixing this issue. It's good to see someone cares about.

> In the sense: actually the solution _for you_ is to use another
> database server (maybe you can migrate the data, later, to DB2).
> Honestly, ibm_db seems too immature, and IMDbPY have a lot of
> rough edges by itself (as you've seen).

This was exactly I was doing until IMDbPY supported SQLAlchemy. Since
DB2 cannot be used directly (I have no choice, this is our database
system; and it's actually quite good) I first ran IMDbPY on the MySQL
database and then migrated all data into DB2. It worked but was quite
annoying.

Thanks,
Joachim
--
M. Sc. Joachim Selke
Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institut für Informationssysteme