Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
if nobody with C hacking skills is feeling sufficient pain over this, the assumption is that the pool of users is too small or the pain is too small.

Hi,

sorry for such late reply, but I just joined this group. I'm very interested in Firebird's future in PHP and I have C skills. However, to answer your assumption: the pain is too small.

We have a working 'interbase' extenstion that does all the job, and does it well. I see that it might get moved to PECL or it might not, however, it is going to be working for a long time. Current PHP+Firebird users just don't feel that they need PDO.

It could be used for new application development, but you'll hardly find a novice PHP user that is also willing to start hacking into PHP source code in parallel. Existing users are simply happy with pure ibase_ functions and ADOdb.

Now, I don't know about that 'lot of shiny new software' being written on PDO, and don't really see that Firebird users will care much. Most of that software is meant to run for ISPs, hosting, etc. services and Firebird is still not on par with MySQL in that (web hosting) environment. I use Firebird for everything, except dynamic online websites where MySQL is simply the best choice.

I hope that PDO stuff is not meant to completely replace mysql_, ibase_, etc. kind of functions in some distant future.

--
Milan Babuskov
http://www.flamerobin.org