What about defining a release manager for the next release? I think that
is an important aspect of moving things forward. I also thought the dual
RM in PHP 5.3 worked quite well although it is not necessarily a must.

I do think we want to avoid ending up with another stale trunk. As I
mentioned in my previous note it's important to have a reasonable scope
for the next upcoming major (5.4/6.0) release and make sure we do have
the right amount of discussions re: new functionality committed. So I do
propose that in the coming weeks (as 80% of the ideas surface) the RMs
create a roadmap for the next version which clearly identifies the
must-haves and should-haves. This can always be changed/tweaked (as we
always have in the past) but it sets the tone for pushing out
functionality sooner rather than later (i.e. if a should-have is still
not quite fully baked but all must-haves are done then ship).

As we saw with PHP 5.3 it ended up being a pretty major version and it
delivers a lot of incremental value. So it was good it didn't wait for
every single idea.

Andi