On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 16:56 +0200, Patrick ALLAERT wrote:
> What about doing the same with MySQL extensions ?
>
> Currently there is 3 main ways to access a MySQL server:
> ext/mysql
> ext/mysqli
> PDO_MYSQL
>
> Additionally, mysqlnd has to be considered as a possible library for
> each of them.
>
> I have the feeling that there is a benefit at removing ext/mysql with
> the same arguments as for sqlite 2.

There are a few differences:

- The base library SQLite (2) depends on isn't maintained anymore. For
  mysql these are libmysql and mysqlnd. Both are maintained.
- Most applications, tutorials, ... use the mysql_ functions.

I would really like to get rid of the old mysql (less code -> less
maintenance) extension but assume it will cause lots of pain. I was once
thinking about a PHP implementation of a compatibility wrapper based on
mysqli.

johannes
--
Johannes Schlüter
MySQL Engineering Connectors and Client Connectivity

Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB161028       Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz