On 2 October 2013 16:10, Johannes Schlüter <johan...@schlueters.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 08:59 +0200, Michael Wallner wrote:
>> Since ever people are confused by _GET and _POST superglobals,
>> because, despite their name, they do not (really) depend on the
>> request method.  Therefor I propose to phase out $_GET and name it
>> $_QUERY and I propose to phase out $_POST and name it $_FORM (I'm not
>> 100% confident with the latter yet, though).
>
> The later is certainly misleading. The current naming corresponds to
> HTML forms.
>
>    <form method="GET">   -> $_GET
>    <form method="POST">  -> $_POST

Heh, pretty good observation! Didn't think about that. Still not
buying. $_FORM is derived from "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
resp. "multipart/form-data" and $_QUERY is obvious.

> I agree that the naming from a HTTP/REST etc. perspective is misleading,
> but unless we have a clearly better naming I would resist from changing
> these.

Not only for REST, but in general IMHO, e.g: <form method="POST"
action="?see=gotcha">

> Changing these leads to an incompatibility which can not be emulated
> (ignoring runkit there is no way for a user to create a custom super
> global)

Valid point. Though, with a long enough time frame it could be done.

> In case that is ignored please mind other related areas, i.e.
> filter_input() to make sure the resulting new language is consistent.

Yeah, well, there's a lot attached to that cumbersome naming, e.g. all
*_post_* INI settings etc.
I should have just resisted proposing that change, but I figured
testing for backing was cheap.

--
Regards,
Mike