On Dec 16, 2014 9:10 PM, "Zeev Suraski" <z...@zend.com> wrote:

> [...]
At
> the same time, when a new version of the distro comes out, there are no
> version restrictions of any kind.
>
> So for a given distro that uses 5.6.8 (as an example), upgrading to 5.6.9
or
> 5.7.0 or even 7.0.0 is equally forbidden within the same distro version,
and
> equally allowed within a new distro version.

And given that many distros have a faster adoption rate, many will adopt
5.7, with notifications for the 7 changes, in their next release as they
may be more looking for 6.1 than 6.0.

To support this fact, see the recent adoption rate of all major versions
since we adopted the release process RFC. One of its goal has been achieved.