Follow-up to Brad Barnett's message:

As a result of Hans' recommendation, I upgraded to 0.10.0rc1 (actually, to a
subversion version that included his recent patch for the VBI messages also
discussed in this thread).  The system got a lot more stable.  A few days of
up-time in a row.

But after 3-4 days, it crashed again with the same symptoms.  (Ping working,
but nothing else, and no messages.)  I suspect you may be right about the
DMA load, so I shut down one of the two-tuner cards a couple of days ago,
and today I removed the card completely.  And I'm only reading video from
one of the 6 tuners now.  (The rest are doing VBI only.)  We'll see if this
makes a difference.

Out of curiosity, does the DMA load only happen when an application is
actively reading from the card?  That is, did I need to physically remove
it?  Or was it good enough to just stop reading from the card?

(from an earlier post of mine)
> FYI, Yes, it is VIA.  Specifically, an ASUS SK8V motherboard, VIA K8T800
chipset.
> We'll see how 0.10.0rc1 works, and if not, I'll try removing one of the
cards.

Thanks,
Rich

--