> The real test would be if all 4 PVR 500's will work (stable) with a new
> motherboard, and I don't have a motherboard in my desktop machine with 4
> PCI
> slots.  On a whim, I've crossed my fingers and purchased a new MSI
> 945P_Neo3-F and Intel Core 2 Duo 6600E (and 2Gigs DDR2) to replace the
> ASUS
> board and Opteron.  Maybe this will do the trick.  I'm recompiling the
> kernel to include SMP.  Let me know if anything here sounds like a bad
> idea.

This sounds very much like the same board I'm using. I'm at work now, so I
can't check, but it is an MSI with an Intel 945 chipset and 4 PCI slots.

I had some trouble getting the on-board SATA controller to work in native
mode. Turned out I needed to add 3 modules to my initrd: ata_piix, libata
and scsi_mod. Without these I could only boot with the controller in PATA
legacy mode which was incredibly slow: RAID1 rebuild of 40GB took 22 hours
with a load of ~25. Performance was so bad I almost brought the board
back.

Now it's working incredibly reliable with a dual core D805 and 2 PVR-350's
and a Promise PATA controller (doing software RAID5) on the PCI bus.

Stanley.