[I prefer to refer to the Java application as "Jmol" still, not JSmol,
please. That's too twisted for me!]

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Rolf Huehne <rhue...@fli-leibniz.de> wrote:

>        Hi developers,
>
> I would like to know if it would be possible to make the JSmol
> application main menu customizable on the fly (like the popup menu) and
> ideally also the icon toolbar with customized icons?

not possible. These are hard-coded

> Since 'Java webstart' supposedly will be the only alternative to get the
> Java version of JSmol running from the Web after (some of) the major
> browsers have dropped the Java plugins, it would be helpful to have also
> more control over the appearance and functionality of the application.

That's not entirely true. You can run the Jmol Java applet outside a
browser. Just start the JNLP files in the java directory of the JSmol
distribution. That's entirely outside any browser.

> Another use case for a customizable application would be if someone
> (like me) would like to use the JSmol application with a different focus
> than molecular structures or enhance for example the modelkit
> functionality or the application functionality in general.

I do think this is an interesting suggestion. What about the Macros menu?
This seems to be under-utilized.

Bob