On 12/03/2014 02:00 PM, Robert Hanson wrote:
> [I prefer to refer to the Java application as "Jmol" still, not JSmol,
> please. That's too twisted for me!]

Bob, but wasn't it you who turned away from the separation at the
beginning into JSmol=Javascript and Jmol=Java to
JSmol=Javascript/Java/WebGL making everything to JSmol, logically also
including the application?
To avoid confusions I just have adapted to that and started to think of
Jmol as JSmol in general.

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Rolf Huehne <rhue...@fli-leibniz.de> wrote:
>
>>         Hi developers,
>>
>> I would like to know if it would be possible to make the JSmol
>> application main menu customizable on the fly (like the popup menu) and
>> ideally also the icon toolbar with customized icons?
>>

> not possible. These are hard-coded

So to change anything in the toolbar or the main menu even only at
startup it would be necessary to build a seperate other application?

>> Since 'Java webstart' supposedly will be the only alternative to get the
>> Java version of JSmol running from the Web after (some of) the major
>> browsers have dropped the Java plugins, it would be helpful to have also
>> more control over the appearance and functionality of the application.
>>

> That's not entirely true. You can run the Jmol Java applet outside a
> browser. Just start the JNLP files in the java directory of the JSmol
> distribution. That's entirely outside any browser.

The applet would be fully functional except for stuff related to browser
communication?

Could the Java console also be opened like in the application?
This would be important because it is very difficult to explain to users
how to open it in their specific environment for troubleshooting. Having
a simple general applicable method would be very good.
Actually I don't even know myself how to open the Java console in my
current Linux system with 'Iced Tea' Java except by using the Jmol menu,
even though I tried hard to find a way.

>> Another use case for a customizable application would be if someone
>> (like me) would like to use the JSmol application with a different focus
>> than molecular structures or enhance for example the modelkit
>> functionality or the application functionality in general.
>>

> I do think this is an interesting suggestion. What about the Macros menu?
> This seems to be under-utilized.

For enhancements this could be useful. But for shifting the focus it
would be necessary to get rid and/or rename some of the existing menu
entries or toolbar icons.

Regards,
Rolf
--

Rolf Huehne
Postdoc

Leibniz Institute for Age Research - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI)
Beutenbergstrasse 11
07745 Jena, Germany

Phone:   +49 3641 65 6205
Fax:     +49 3641 65 6210
E-Mail:  rhue...@fli-leibniz.de
Website: http://www.fli-leibniz.de

           Scientific Director: Prof. Dr. K. Lenhard Rudolph
        Head of Administration: Dr. Daniele Barthel
Chairman of Board of Trustees: Dennys Klein

VAT No: DE 153 925 464
Register of Associations: No. 230296, Amtsgericht Jena
Tax Number: 162/141/08228