Tamas E. Gunda wrote:

To summarize, I am in dilemma - which is the better solution? To make everything in double? The presence of Chime is easy to test, and if ok, lets use it. However, the check of the Jmol applet is not so straightforward, as its functionality heavily depends upon the actual JRE. If the browser hangs up (as in the case of JRE 1.4 and Firefox) nothing helps and the user will probably avoid to visit such pages again.

I think you will find that everyone on THIS list has concluded that Jmol is the better solution. For those who need to upgrade or install Java, they upgrade. That's better than downloading a plugin, because it's a more general fix and will give their computer more capability in other situations as well. It's a bigger "fix" than just installing the molecular viewer software.

HOWEVER, it would be nice -- I'll bet Henry Rzepa knows how to do this -- if when Java is not there they at least get a GIF or something that points them to how to proceed. Would that be <object> code? For example, jmol.js could be modified to detect IE (can it detect whether Java is there? or the right java?) and, if so, display a standard gif from the Jmol website or a link to that page explaining the issue.

Bob Hanson

--

Robert M. Hanson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 507-646-3107
Professor of Chemistry, St. Olaf College

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."  - Albert Einstein

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click _______________________________________________ Jmol-users mailing list Jmol-users@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jmol-users