2012/11/26 Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>

> Hi Olva,
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 07:20:04PM +0100, Olav Dahlum wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Keep in mind that I still own the copyright to most of the translation
> work
>
> I guess you signed a joint copyright assignment with Sun/Oracle, in one
> of its forms (JCA, SCA, OCA); otherwise a Sun employee like Rafaella
> would never have given you access to the server pootle. This means that
> you, as the author, hold copyright jointly with Oracle over the
> contribution you've made.
>
> As Oracle granted OpenOffice source code, including the translations, to
> the Apache Software Foundation, now the code is no longer under the
> umbrella a single corporation, but under the care of a non-profit,
> charitable organization made of volunteers (as a charitable organization
> the ASF does not pay for developers: only a few jobs that have to do
> with keeping the infrastructure working are payed, all other people here
> are volunteers, some being payed/sponsored by a company, some working in
> their free time).

Sorry about my directness, but I usually don't do too much small talk in
these
situations.

I didn't mention anything about money, just the bit about copyright, and
possibly
credit. Anyway, I didn't sign anything personally, if it was ever required.
But it
wasn't a problem for me, so it must have been some sort of prior agreement
(the CLA) based on what you write. Keep in mind that I'm a volunteer as
well,
which incidentally was paid by the ÅKPN foundation to translate, and test
the
software at some point. Even if Pootle is notorious for stripping away file
headers, one can't ignore prior work. Believe me, I have been accused of
taking
credit due to similar technical shortcomings.

> > since Åpne kontorprogram på norsk
> > jumped onto LibreOffice, and I'm not impressed by what I have seen so
> far.
>
> Could you please share your concerns?

This might not be very useful to you, but ignoring things like this won't
make
the situation better: http://i18n.skolelinux.no/retningslinjer.html

> > Any decline in the quality will not be tolerated by either me, Axel
> > Bojer (since 2002), or any other person who have put a lot of time
> > into the project.
>
> Please note that releases are voted here at Apache, and none will vote
> to release something that hasn't the quality OpenOffice users deserve.

This is why I need to get some of the old timers back into the game, so
they can be part of this process.

> > When I was told I needed to sign the ICLA, I was
> > puzzled since I already was a well known contributor.
>
> You already signed a joint contribution assignment with Sun/Oracle, this
> is no longer under effect; any contribution made here at Apache must be
> under the Apache License v2.0.

Actually, I was encouraged to sign the The Apache Software Foundation
Individual
Contributor License Agreement ("Agreement") V2.0. But the plan was to meet
up
with IBM first, and act upon that. Unfortunately, our contact left the firm.

> > And as I couldn't due to technical reasons, it was never done.
>
> You simply have to fill this form
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
> Sign it, scan it, and e-mail it to secret...@apache.org
> It's something rather simple.

That was the point, I didn't have access to the equipment. I live mostly
paper less.

> > My Pootle account on the original server was also lost during the
> > transition, a project people like Rafaella Braconi made available on
> > the server after my request to do so.
>
> The Pootle server was not really migrated, that is, only the content was
> transfered, not the accounts inforamtion. In the current set up, only
> Apache Committers can have an account in the Pootle server. Non Apache
> committers are welcome to work off-line with the preferred translation
> tool.

A bit hard to download the files when you can't. But if I actually do sign
the
ICLA now, it would mean no one could dispute my claims right?

> > So before this really takes a wrong and unrecoverable turn, the
> > control must be put back into my hands.
>
> We are simply volunteers, no one has "the control", whatever this could
> mean.

Let me put this differently. To avoid things getting out of control because
people have little experience with translation, some sort of coordination
is required.

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile