Of course, the main point is that once you've got any form of arthritis, you can't "ward it off" - you've got it. What you can do is to try and stop it getting worse (just about impossible) by doing things in a way that causes it the least aggravation.

Just to illustrate that I'm more interested in the process than the finished item, I'm finishing off one of Christine Springett's small Bucks Point fans, and so far, I've "reverse laced" the finishing edge 4 times, and I don't mind a bit. Following the instructions that came with it for throwing out 2 pairs at each picot along the finishing edge meant that I still ended up with a bundle of 9 pairs of passives in a bundle to "neatly" finish off. On my fifth attempt it looks like I'll still end up with 5 pairs - the two permanent pairs inside the picot, plus one other and two pairs which were the alternating workers on the footside, but that's a lot better than 9. I'll probably settle for that.

Jean