From: owner-l...@arachne.com [mailto:owner-l...@arachne.com] On Behalf Of
Jean Nathan
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 7:12 PM
To: Lace
Subject: [lace] Warding Off Arthritis

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 1992. Most of the time it's
controlled well, with the occasional flare.

I swear that the drift of fingers towards the little finger have been
suppressed to a great extent by making lace, picking up the bobbins by the
spangles and inserting the pins (mostly not straight), and by using a
computer keyboard. Just two fingers are drifting.

I noticed that the only one of my fingers that has never been swollen is the

one with my wedding ring. Gold injections were given as a treatment to some
people, so I wondered if a small amount of gold was being absorbed through
my skin. My consultant said that the amount absorbed would be so small to
have no effect, but I tried wearing gold rings on all my fingers anyway - it

didn't work, but I felt it was worth a try.

A physiotherapist suggested wearing a copper bangle. I said I thought it was

a placebo effect, and didn't really believe it would have any real effect.
She said that you have to bear in mind that there are electrical impulses
going on all the time inside the body, and it's possible that, if the
pathways are slightly out of align, a copper or magnetic bracelet could be
enough to realign them and thereby reduce pain if that was the cause. She
has a point, but it's never worked for me.

Lucie wrote:

<A kind word, a smile, a warm cup of tea,
faith (in almost anything and anyone), a belief, can all support the
immune system and the body's natural healing processes.>

As rheumatoid arthritis is the result of the immune system attacking joints,

I don't really want a supported immune system - I wish it would just stop
wrongly trying to fight what it thinks shouldn't be there!

As there are over 90 different types of arthritis, what works in controlling

pain and swelling for one won't necessarily work for another. We all have to

find what works for us.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK