My feelings about this are that yes working lace with arthritis does work (up to a point) no huge weights pulling on your hands and for us craft lacemakers we can work at our own speed. the movements do prevent my hands and fingers getting too painful and stiff, so great and enjoyable to. People do and did all sorts of things that we may consider wives tales. But if you think it might help you and isn't actually harming you then many people do or did wear copper bracelets or whatever for their comfort. I am keeping on keeping on exercising my fingers working my lace and keeping them young and fit, <g> and enjoying what I do.
sue T

Sorry Elizabeth, I sent this email direct to you as opposed to the 'list".

One of my bobbin resource people (you know I am not a lace maker and have to
rely on others for practical advice)  Showed me that she certainly did not
handle the leopard bobbins in any way that would involve her touching the
protruding lumps pewter.

Perhaps others handle their bobbins differently.

I love tradition and old wives tales, but you cant really think that
touching pewter when lace making will help your arthritis!

Having said that, if you thinks it helps, then that is fine by me:)
" In the old days one Always had a leopard bobbin( wood with pewter spots)
on
the pillow, to ward off arthritis."

Patty - I would not hold your breath, if I were you!!!!!!!!!! :)) Sorry!!
Still............ you never know!!!!!!!!! Some of these old remedies Do
work!!!!!!!!! :)) With arthritic fingers one is happy to try Anything!! (I

her
sanity!! Her daughter had to mount the lace on the cloth, but lacemaking was
the only thing she could do - with thicker threads, of course.  I have a
couple of prs of her bobbins, now - a group of us were given them after she passed away, and I use them for gimps. They are perfect, and a nice reminder
of a lovely lady.

So if your hands are a problem, - keep making lace. It really is good for
you!
Regards from Liz in Melbourne
lizl...@bigpond.com