Not much use to a tatter, knitter or crocheter, and possibly only a little so to a needle-lacemaker! We do tend to forget that there are forms of lace other than bobbin lace on Arachne :-)

To answer John's question, it is usually either a square or rectangle of cloth, about the size of a tea-towel, that can either a) sit over the bottom half of a pricking/under the bobbins (when it is often called a 'working cloth') - this has the advantage of stopping the threads rubbing against the edges of the pricking or, on a fully dressed pillow (which also has cloths covering the sides of the pricking or completed work) catching on pins that have been pushed down or b) be placed over the pillow and any work on it when you move away for any reason - either placed on if you are coming straight back, or pinned on for transportation.

Cover cloths used under the bobbins are usually plain material to stop you going bozz-eyed after working for hours!

In message <CAEtMP78SB8j3koOoqhE0X2seA9e=05huwshooknepxpj0+5...@mail.gmail.com>, John Mead <johnbobm...@gmail.com> writes
OK, I'll air my ignorance, a quick google search didn't look very
successful.

What's a cover cloth?

yrs,

John Mead