Devon

I think you are right. But I would say that a lace name should include both
technique and structure, but also style. A structural definition of Beds and
Cluny would be very similar - a guipure straight lace, held together mostly
by braids. But stylistically they are quite different. And, of course, there
are also differences in specific techniques. (Techniques meaning specific
solutions to specific problems, for instance, how to connect a braid/plait
to a cloth spot, or how to bring braids/plaits into or out of a cloth trail.
And to complicate things further, actual historic laces may show both the
Cluny method and the Beds method used in the same lace!!!)  So as modern
lace makers we typically use a geographical name as a code for all those 3
things - structure, techniques and style.

Cluny is fairly easy to describe in words. It is a guipure (braid based)
straight lace with geometric designs, and it may have a cloth trail. My
personal habit is to use a different name, "continental straight lace", for
those pieces which have pictorial elements to the design, such as flowers
and leaves, or figures. That is a term that Doris Southard used, and I
learned it from her. I don't know enough to reliably distinguish
"continental straight laces" by their geographic origin. Such were made in
France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Denmark and Sweden. The Danish and Swedish
ones are very similar and I can't reliably distinguish them.  Purely
geometric Cluny may have a French name, but it also probably has no specific
geographic referent (except to specify  "not made in England".

Bedfordshire is a lot harder to describe in words, although it is absolutely
clear and distinct visually. A guipure braid/plait based straight lace which
often has a cloth trail, and sometimes subsidiary cloth trails. It may have
cloth spots (spiders), and leaves or flowers. Even the designs without
naturalistic motifs have a flowing, organic character.

Lorelei