You may be generally correct, Lorelei, especially for the tape(US) /
braid(UK) usages. It is probably somewhat muddled, however, by the
background of one's teacher(s), and which books one uses the most. I've
taught myself a lot from books, especially in the beginning, and (almost?)
exclusively European books for the Binche / Val family of lace, and
consequently I use "plait" more than "braid" for the first pairing you list
in spite of being American. I expect that your use of "braid/plait" and
"tape/braid" may be the best solution, although I'm going to be more
disciplined about simply using "plait" and "tape", since "braid" is the
ambiguous term.

Someone said something applicable here about Americans and the English
being two peoples divided by a common language (but there is quite a bit of
confusion about who said it. http://tinyurl.com/y8jx8dfw or
http://tinyurl.com/y7z79o5p, etc. Candidates include Oscar Wilde, G.B.Shaw,
Churchill, Reader's Digest, and a bunch of people I never heard of. I
always liked Winston as a candidate for this one, but that's apparently
unlikely; I have a queasy feeling that it was probably some editor at
Reader's Digest...)

Nancy
Connecticut, USA