I've been following your discussion with interest - now it's time to
comment.

In Maltese lace, we never pre-prick our patterns - at least not to my
knowledge - and this was never mentioned in lectures of Maltese lace
history either. If a pattern is pricked (has holes) it means it has been
used to work on.

We also work the boll stitch (punt tal-balla) without any pins, except at
the edges. The stitch is used where lots of ground is needed, and
especially in ecclesiastical garments, both with fine threads and thicker
ones, just because it can be worked up relatively fast.

May I take this opportunity to wish everybody a happy festive season.

Karen in Malta.