On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

Cory Papenfuss wrote:
Yes... way better, and without the numerical weirdness of the local convergence. I've now only got a couple of patches that have perceivable dE in iccexamin, and they're probably due to a glare on my test shot. No more low-luminance progressive errors. I'm a little curious as to what the two new "knobs" to tweak the spline fit do. I've so far left them at default.
The sliders contol the trade-off between fitting error and smoothness. Moving them up, will increase smoothness, but also the fitting error.

Both sliders map to a single smoothness/error trade-off metric internally, so they are basically redundant, but have a different scale. I think that one of the sliders will be obsoleted eventually.

Thanks for the info. The only parameter that I played with in argyll that appeared to affect the output was was the -a flag.

People usually tend to desire highly accurate profiles, and mostly measure the accuracy simply by comparing the profile to the same data set that was used to create the profile (that's alo what happens if you open the profile checker window after creating the profile). This is IMO mathematically not well-founded. First, even a perfect fit to the measurements used to create the profile does not imply that the profile would fit as well for a different data set. Second, measurements are never error-free, but always (sometimes more, sometimes less) noisy. If you create a profile from measurements which have a random error (noise) of say 2dE average, and if the profile fits this data set with say 0.3 dE average, then it is IMO very likely, that the profile is not really as accurate as it seems; it rather fits the noise in the data, instead of describing the avarage behaviour of the device more accurately. Given such noisy measurements, a smoother profile with a larger fitting error may actually describe the average behaviour of the device more accurately, than an supposedly accurate profile, with a low fitting error.

Regards,
Gerhard

Interesting thought. Especially since the gamut of the fit color space is much wider than what is measureable from the target. It's impressive how much larger the space is than the target, so if you've got a "super-accurate" fit to the data, it could well be goofy outside.

Just a thought about the noise. I know that the whole Bayer thing throws a wrench in the works, but maybe some median filtering rather than simple averaging? I suspect that it's mostly evident at the low-levels where SNR is lower. That's where the pixels that are "hot" matter most.

-Cory