On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Paul Miller wrote:

> Unfortunately, we loading a 5K x 4K JPEG image (RGB8 -> RGBA8), it takes
> 3 times longer to use the profile transform than not. Since it sounds
> like the transform resolves to a simple 16 bit lookup after the unpack,
> MOST of this time is tied up in the pack/unpack.

I would not make any such assumption without proof.  The pack/unpack
is done using the most efficient mode of the CPU with most
instructions/data resident in the cache and linear data access.  It
can be quite fast.  The "simple 16 bit lookup" may in fact be a
cache-busting random access and be much slower.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/