Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Paul Miller wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, we loading a 5K x 4K JPEG image (RGB8 -> RGBA8), it takes
>> 3 times longer to use the profile transform than not. Since it sounds
>> like the transform resolves to a simple 16 bit lookup after the unpack,
>> MOST of this time is tied up in the pack/unpack.
>
> I would not make any such assumption without proof.  The pack/unpack is
> done using the most efficient mode of the CPU with most
> instructions/data resident in the cache and linear data access.  It can
> be quite fast.  The "simple 16 bit lookup" may in fact be a
> cache-busting random access and be much slower.

Yes, I dug further into the transform (and the CalcLUT code that Marti
mentioned) and it seems that that is probably the bottleneck afterall,
with potentially 3D lookups and matrix operations. Yuck. I guess it all
depends on the profile as well. I was expecting (for some odd reason) a
simple 2D table lookup per channel, but that isn't the case.

I "solved" the problem by setting the default interpretation of profiles
to "use the embedded one", which equates to a no-op in my software.

--
Paul Miller | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.fxtech.com | Got Tivo?