> And to raise another old issue:
> Will we work with a cvs repository?

I think this is a must.  If we're ever going to get out of the "one man
distribution" era, we need an effective way to replicate build environments,
and propogate updates.  CVS was made to do exactly this.

The big question is do we want to keep the full source-code tree in CVS, or
just our mods?  I vote for the whole source-code tree, and using CVS
branching options to maintain our diffs.  This allows us to import new major
releases into the CVS tree, and merge any diffs we may have made to the
code, which preserves development work we've done, allows fairly easy
updates to new major versions, and allows anyone to download the entire
build environment, without worring if they've got the exact code-base the
developer started with.

The model David worked out for building LRP packages (ie a sub-directory
that would allow a "make lrp") would be updated/extended to make LEAF
packages.

So, a brief example would perhaps be:

Obtain source tree for "fancyapp version 1.0.1" and import unmodified code
into LEAF CVS archive.

A "LEAF" branch is made from the mainline code.

Any required code/configuration modifications are made, and files are added
to allow a "make LEAF-package" functionality

Changes are checked into CVS

Normal CVS features are used (ie other developers can check-out the code,
fix bugs and check-in their updates, etc).

Fancyapp 1.1.0 is released...code is downloaded and checked into CVS as
"mainline" code (ie not part of LEAF branch).

LEAF branch modifications are merged back into mainline code, to provide an
updated LEAF package.  If nothing too major changed between the two fancyapp
releases, updating to the new version could be virtually automatic (someone
just has to run the proper CVS command).

The only real problems with this approach:

- It requires fairly sophisticated use of CVS to set everything up...this
can be handled by simple "howto" documents.  NOTE:  Once everything is
configured, checking-out and building the code is no more difficult than
with a more conventional CVS setup.

- We will be keeping all the source code in CVS, not just our mods.  This
could potentially get quite large, but I think the benifits are worth it.

- Potentially, SourceForge could begin to limit CVS archive size...if this
happens, we could setup our own CVS archive...either on someone's personal
machines (I would volunteer), or perhaps with corperate sponsership.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net