On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 09:22:27PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Full hour shifts, on the other hand, can be done merely by changing
> the time-zone, and they can be done through the normal political
> process, aligned to recognized borders.

It doesn't even have to be a full-hour shift. Some countries use
timezones with offsets given in 15-minute resolution, so any software
used globally already has to support 15-minute shifts. Adding support
for 1-minute shifts in timezones might be easier than Y2K.

I guess a bigger issue with existing software, if for some reason it
couldn't be updated anymore, would be the maximum offset that can be
accepted or represented. There might be a sanity check requiring
the offset to be smaller than 24 hours as the current maximum is 14
hours. The ISO 8601 format has only two digits for hours in the UTC
offset, so that wouldn't work for longer than a million years.

--
Miroslav Lichvar