That evolutionary approach sounds like exactly what I think would happen if
future leap seconds were abolished.  Over the centuries, and very gradually (as
in not abruptly), people will on the average start going to work a little later
as judged by the clock… if they even do “go to work” so far in the future.

On DST, maybe Tom should start a list serve devoted to it.  I believe one
reason the House of Representatives did not take up the Senate bill was because
some professional psychiatrist organizations have decided DST is horrible and
they deluged the poor congresspeople with letters.  I like to make fun of one
refereed publication that claims those Indiana students who were “subjected” to
DST had a 16% lower IQ.  Another one, about traffic accidents, showed a whole
bunch of wiggles over a year, and said that one of those coincided with a DST
switch.  I also saw something associated with Fox News that had a few things
just as strange as what people say about other things they propagate.
Hopefully the shrinks have a more realistic publication base to draw from.