From: LEAPSECS <leapsecs-boun...@leapsecond.com> on behalf of Jim Lux
<jim...@earthlink.net>
Sent: 26 December 2023 15:40
To: Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs@leapsecond.com>
Subject: Re: [LEAPSECS] UT1 offset

Let’s back of the envelope the impact of a 1 second error in a longitude sight.
The Sun moves 360 degrees in 86400 seconds. A one second error is then about
0.004 degree.  But in equatorial km, let’s assume 40,000 km circumference, so
40,000 km in 86,400 seconds (yeah, it’s actually less, sidereal day and all
that). Or an error of about 1/2 km.

For the vast majority of boat driving purposes, this is sufficiently accurate -
you need to get to within visual range of the coast, so you can get into the
desired port.

For flying a plane by celestial navigation, you might care more, because the
plane is flying faster than a boat moves.

Sent from my iPad