Hello all:
A couple of days ago, I started to draft a response to the question raised but
got waylaid. I think others have already address the issue fairly well but
here's my reply for the record (a bit long-winded):

Earth orientation data are provided in the new(ish) GPS CNAV navigation message
structure and is documented in IGS-IS-200 (as already point out). They are only
needed by those working in the ECI (Earth-Centred Inertial) frame. That leaves
out the majority of GPS users. If you are doing orbit integration to improve
the orbits of the GPS satellites you might benefit from this data. But I wonder
who in the academic community, for example, is actualy using this information
in the CNAV messages. I might enquire of some colleagues. By the way, GPS and
the other GNSS are used daily (using mostly IGS archived data) to actually
determine very accurate Earth orientation data, which is used by the IERS to
create data files for Earth rotation/orientation researchers. I used to be one
of them. ;-)

30.3.3.5 Message Type 32 Earth Orientation Parameters (EOP)
The earth orientation parameters are provided in Message Type 32. The
parameters are defined below, followed by material pertinent to the use of the
data.

30.3.3.5.1 EOP Content
Message Type 32, Figure 30-5, provides SV clock correction parameters (ref.
Section 30.3.3.2) and earth orientation parameters. The EOP message provides
users with parameters to construct the ECEF and ECI coordinate transformation
(a simple transformation method is defined in Section 20.3.3.4.3.3.2). The
number of bits, scale factors (LSBs), the range, and the units of all EOP
fields of Message Type 32 are given in Table 30-VII.

30.3.3.5.1.1 User Algorithm for Application of the EOP
The EOP fields in the Message Type 32 contain the EOP data needed to construct
the ECEF-to-ECI coordinate transformation. The user computes the ECEF position
of the SV antenna phase center using the equations shown in Table 30-II. The
full coordinate transformation for translating to the corresponding ECI SV
antenna phase center
position may be accomplished in accordance with the computations detailed in
Chapter 5 of IERS Technical Note 36: IERS Conventions (2010) and equations for
UT1, xp and yp as documented in Table 30-VIII. For UT1, Table 30-VIII documents
the relationship between GPS time and UT1 with ΔUTGPS and ΔU̇ TGPS. Users who
may need ΔUT1 (UT1-UTC) as detailed in Chapter 5 of IERS Technical Note 36:
IERS Conventions (2010) can calculate this parameter from UT1-UTC, or more
accurately as (UT1-GPS) + (GPS-UTC), using intermediate quantities (UT1-GPS)
and (GPS-UTC) which are produced during calculation of UT1 and UTC. Figure 5.1
on page 73 of that document depicts the computational flow starting from GCRS
(Geocentric Celestial Reference System) to ITRS (International Terrestrial
Reference System). Ongoing WGS 84 re-adjustment at NGA and incorporating the
2010 IERS Conventions, are expected to bring Earth based coordinate agreement
to within 2 cm. In the context of the Conventions, the user may as a matter of
convenience choose to implement the transformation computations via either the
"Celestial Intermediate Origin (CIO) based approach” or the “Equinox based
approach”. The EOPs are used to calculate UT1 (applied in the "Rotation to
terrestrial system" process) and the polar motion parameters, xp and yp
(applied in the "Rotation for polar motion" process). Details of the
calculation are given in Table 30-VIII.

-- Richard Langley

| Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: l...@unb.ca         |
| Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://gge.unb.ca      |
| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142   |
| University of New Brunswick                                               |
| Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3                                        |
|        Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.fredericton.ca/       |