I do not link unrelated people in my file to one person. That would be very misleading and confusing to anyone else who looked at your file.

I am entering the records for a town in Sicily and have over 48,000 in my file. I check to see first if there is a relationship to someone who already exists in my file. If so, then I enter and link them properly. If not, I add a new unlinked individual and add that person's parents names and/or spouse to the file. I have many of these stand alone trees within my large file that span more than 7 generations without a problem.

Robert Arens wrote:
Yes, many.
I have a system that I've been using in my FTW software for over 10 years. FTW handles up to 99 children. I am researching all of my ancestral surnames. Many of the same surname people I discover are not yet documented as being a member of my ancestral lines. So, I put them under a patriarch named: "00 not yet my Arens" (without quotes). He then has sons named: 001-100 (etc) not yet my Arens. In my Arens line I have about 3,000 of these Arens people. Each of my many other ancestral surnames are handled the same way. I keep all my records in the same file so that when I do add a connected ancestor, the program often finds the previously 'not yet' person match within the program so I can 'fix relationships' and thereby connect the appropriate previously 'not yet' wives, children, descendants, ancestors, etc. Some of my 'not yet' Arens lines are over 5 generations long. I have over 70,000 individuals in this same file. When doing reports it's convenient to have all 'not yet' people readily identifiable. When I imported the FTW generated GEDCOM file into Legacy 7 Deluxe, it disconnected all children beyond 60. So now, in Legacy, I have these many family lines floating around without a 'head'. I've tried to think of ways to 'round them up' so I can create '061-100' etc. fathers. I've tried going through PAF, which handles more than 60 children, .... no help there. If someone has developed a better system for accomplishing this, I would greatly appreciate the help. my current home page: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/a/r/e/Robert-Arens-MN/index.html#edit On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 11:56 PM, John S. Adams <oldbr...@hotmail.com <mailto:oldbr...@hotmail.com>> wrote:

    Do you have someone who has more than 60 children?

    John S. Adams
    Hermosa Beach, CA

    From: "Robert Arens" <bob.aren...@gmail.com
    <mailto:bob.aren...@gmail.com>>
    Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:13 PM
    To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
    <mailto:LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>>
    Subject: [LegacyUG] Does anyone know how to increase max number of
    children from 60 to 99

        Does anyone know how to increase the maximum number of
        children from 60 to
        99 in Legacy 7 Delux?

-- Bob Arens
        Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
        EagleVisions Energy LLC
        www.eaglevisionsenergy.com <http://www.eaglevisionsenergy.com/>
        1-952-430-7000

    <http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Etiquette.asp>