On Friday, April 26, 2024 at 7:45:11 AM UTC-4 Edward K. Ream wrote:

This Engineering Notebook post contains second thoughts about Trilium Notes.

*Trilium's weaknesses*

Trilium undervalues the power of text:

I think that Edward does not appreciate how often users want to use Leo as
an *Notebook* as opposed to a *writing* tool.  For a notebook, one wants to
include all kinds of material, text and graphics, and then *look at and
read* it many times.  For writing, developing code, and so on one mostly
wants to *edit and read text*. Trillium by default, it seems to me, shows
you a rendered view of its nodes and makes it harder to edit and work with
the content.  Leo makes it easy to edit and work with text, but harder to
insert and look at rendered graphics, etc.

An example is those Mermaid diagrams.  Leo can't currently use Mermaid, but
it can create and render Plantum diagrams, which are somewhat similar,
using VR3 with Asciidoc.  It's necessary to install a stand-alone Asciidoc
engine with the right plugins, but it's very feasible.  Once created, I at
least would like to see a series of diagrams rendered.  The text view would
be useless, and it's unlikely I would be changing the diagrams once
perfected.  Seeing the textual source would be a distraction.

Think about how Jupyter notebooks are usually used.  It's great to be able
to develop your code in one, complete with graphics and notes.  But once
developed, they are generally shared as a set of HTML  files, and only
looked at not edited.  VR3 can display those files using an @jupyter node
type.  Any text display would only show the raw html, which is essentially
useless and distracting to look at.