The approach taken would be: self contained IP->FM transmitter box that can be
detected without any danger to people setting it up.

If there was access to technology I would suggest a multiple of low cost
computing devices (raspberry pi/etc) receiving IP audio stream, connected to a
reasonably low powered FM transmitter. These nodes can be found and destroyed
but cost is low and safety is maintained (as much as possible).

Caveat: These are quick ideas off the top of my head. There are probably better
ways, but technically these would be possible. Security may be compromised.
Some [BIG] assumptions are made.

Not knowing the availability of radio transmitter hardware within the area, my
suggestions would be:

Option 1:

* The IP based streaming input will be available within Syria? If some
censorship is being carried out, have the audio stream available on a
"standard" IP port, 80 (web server) for example. If so use the IP streaming
audio as input for the FM transmitter. I would not think encryption of the IP
stream would make sense (and would possibly raise flags/get it blocked)

* Coupling (connecting electrically) the actual radio transmitter via a
point-to-point (possibly multiple points) microwave link to the antenna
installation. This will give some basic protection -instead of coupling the
antenna installation via co-ax cable to the radio transmitter which give away
the location of the radio straight-away.

* Allow the system to be controlled remotely, if necessary: although that would
give the possibility of   some surveillance. A more secure way would be to
leave it as a self contained system that dies when/if its discovered.

Ultimately the audio will need to be available to broadcast FM transmitters on
the 85Mhz - 108MHz range.

Ultimately the transmitter would be found, if any signal interception is being
carried out.

Option 2:

* The IP stream is sourced from outside the country,and is coupled to an FM
transmitter outside the country. The FM signal is broadcast with a directional
antenna, over the border into Syria.
* Again, depending on the availability of FM radio hardware, a repeater/relay
installation receives this -> original radio station broadcasts on 88.5MHz for
example, the repeater  receives it and retransmits it on 101.0MHz

This could be chained a number of times hiding, for a short time, the each FM
retransmission point. Eventually it would be found as "somewhere across the
Syrian border", and whatever happens happens.

Ultimately the audio will need to be available to broadcast FM transmitters on
the 85Mhz - 108MHz range.

Ultimately the transmitter would be found, if any signal interception is being
carried out.

I hope these ideas can give some help. Please verify the assumptions made, at
least discuss with a broadcast engineer if possible.

Bernard