For what it's worth, my team at Abayima is working on solutions here in the
form of sneakernet and short-range ad-hoc communications.  The Sneakernet
aspect works right now and we're more than happy to work with your team,
assuming you have access to people in Syria. Obviously  this method most
useful if you're targeting people who have mobile phones, but who likely
don't have access to computers, much-less the internet.

That simply allows people to store data to SIMs so that, when input to
another phone, the information on the SIM can be recalled, perhaps,
relevant given the reference to 'sneakernets' elsewhere on the thread.

As for the short-range wireless transmission, the next phase of our project
is to develop solutions in this area that allow feature phones to 'find'
and talk to ad-hoc mobile networks. For now, this feature is only a vision,
but assuming these are the problems you want to solve for the future, we
welcome any any all contributions to help us get there.

Abayima.com

Jon Gosier
Founder, Abayima
Mobile: (520) 301-7906