> I assume he is referring to the Jim Lennane who ran DeScribe. A
great
> word processor that was popular on OS/2 (when I was in OS/2
support).
> Jim believed that no one would want (need?) an integrated solution.
> MS Office (and Lotus Smartsuite among others) proved him wrong.

That's the fella.  But that wasn't his mistake.

His mistake was believing that his market position (the only
full-function word processor available for OS2) would permit him to
impose significantly different Ts&Cs on his potential customers.
Specifically, he started to ship product that would only work for 30
days - you had to register with DeScribe and obtain a key to continue
beyond that point, even though he had $295 of your money.

Microsoft might have that power (vide XP) but DeScribe didn't, and
neither does SuSE.

--
  Phil Payne
  The Devil's IT Dictionary - last updated 2002/01/20: