snip..

>It may not be a question of SuSE-on-S/390 versus no Linux-on-S/390, you
>know.  Further, it may well be going into a shop that wants to run Linux
>on Intel boxes as well.  Those shops usually want to use a single
>vendor's Linux distributions across their platforms.  There is at least
>one distributor that lets you do this for evaluation purposes free of
>charge.
>
>While Linux, pretty nearly, is Linux, it is quite useful to be able to
>actually run it on the candidate platform.
>
>Further, I think the idea of a $4500 evaluation license is simply silly,
>especially since you include support with it.  If it's an *evaluation*
>license, what do I need the support for?  A much cheaper, no-support
>license would be much more appropriate for evaluation purposes.  "Can't
>get it running without needing the support I haven't paid for," is
>certainly a viable evaluation result, and would tell the evaluator a lot
>about the ease of installation of the product.
>
>Adam

Excuse me folks, I think there's something we've all forgotten here: this is
a *Linux* distribution we're talking about here. You know, Linux, - that OS
which is distributed under the GPL.

Even if Suse won't sell media kits without support, refuse to make it
available for free download etc, there's still nothing to prevent anyone who
aquires a copy from making it available for free, 'as a service to the
community'! The only questionmark is over YaST, which is under a Suse
license, not GPL, but even that isn't a problem - my YaST license
specifically states:

'All programmes derived from YaST, and all works derived thereof as a
whole or parts thereof may only be disseminated with the amended
sources and this licence in accordance with 2b).  Making YaST or
works derived thereof available free of charge together with SuSE
Linux on FTP Servers and mailboxes is permitted if the licences on
the software are observed.'

It also states:

'It is forbidden to reproduce or distribute data carriers which have
been reproduced without authorisation for payment without the prior
written consent of SuSE GmbH or SuSE Linux.  '

Note the words 'for payment'. If a site has got a copy of the latest Suse
S/390 GA, there is nothing I can see to prevent them from making it
available to one and all via FTP, or indeed from copying and distributing
the media so long as they don't charge.

I submit that this is a storm in a teacup, and Suse have made an error of
judgment in trying to restrict distribution of *Linux*! It ain't called the
GPV for nothing :-)

A $4,500 evaluation license for Linux????!!!! Perish the thought!

Mike
http://www.corestore.org