In a message dated 1/21/2002 10:26:52 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> What you
> need to understand is that your success so far is based on widespread
> acceptance of your code and that your current market dominance is based on
> being the first mover in this space.  Take that away by making your
> distribution difficult to obtain or integrate into custom solutions, or
> annoy enough of the consultants and system integrators by making it
> difficult for them to value-add onto your product, and you *will* lose that
> acceptance, and correspondingly, your market share.  You're biting the
> hands
> that feed you.
>
> If that's your strategy, great, it's working.  Your gun, your head, your
> thumb spinning the cylinder.  The choice is yours.  Out here, we, the folks
> that recommend purchases to customers don't think it's such a great idea
> and
> are trying to give you feedback on your choice before the marketplace does.
> Take that for what it's worth -- after all, look what you paid for it...8-)

AMEN!!!!

...and let me add this point

It is important for SuSE to understand that IF they open up the evaluation
copy
and get the latest release spinning on lots and lots of enterprise
mainframes...
they will eventually reap MANY support contracts from S390 sites.
After all...how many companies are going to allow PRODUCTION use of Linux on
the mainframe
without support contracts  ??

Dave