> HOWEVER, much of the discussion on this list has been the perceived
high
> price of the new Linux with support at $11,500 per engine.  In
talking to my
> buyer and to some other people, it turns out that only a few
customers will
> pay that price.  In fact, only those who purchase the full product
with all
> the bells and whistles and who will be running it on a big z/900
will pay
> that price.

In this context (until next week at least) all z900s are the same
size - the difference between small and large is the number of engines
enabled.  Given that mainframe charges are normally degressive with
size, I'd expect the large ones to pay less per engine than the
smaller ones - not the reverse.

>  I can't discuss the price we paid for it, but it's nowhere near
> $11,500.

It depends when.  Since the mandatory bundle, or before it?

SuSE monitor this list.  If there have been any material errors, they
can correct them by posting themselves or by asking anyone who posted
anything incorrect for a retraction - which I for one would be
delighted to give as I find forcing users to take maintenance to get a
product a reprehensible practice no matter where it occurs.  It isn't
that long ago that the industry fought IBM to make it unbundle
hardware maintenance so that the third party maintenance companies
could get a foothold - and look what happened to mainframe maintenance
prices immediately afterwards.

At this very moment the EU is taking action against automobile
manufacturers to free up the service and mainentance market by forcing
them to make documentation and special service tools available to
independents.

As has been pointed out, SuSE do not have a monopoly - in fact they
have something close to the reverse of one.  The market will decide.

--
  Phil Payne
  The Devil's IT Dictionary - last updated 2002/01/20: